Xtreme Customer Service or TTWWADI must die.
The gap between Expectations and Reality is where emotions form and problems happen.
Become a Customer Activist- An advocate for customers
- Passionate, fanatically, committed, progressive, protective about their cause
- Closes gap between expectations and reality
- you need a hat
- you need a creed
- Nordstrom customer service: The Tire (and possibly the best customer service story of all time.
Remove the barriers
- don’t make excuses
- don’t blame
- just find solutions.
You must become an Environmentalist
- What kind of environment do we want to have?
- Think about your favorite places. What do they look like/feel/sound/smell like?
- How do you create the same type of environment?
- need to know what people expect before you can exceed it.
- how do you find out what they expect? You have to ASK them.
All co-workers are partners. Not rivals
- Libraries are extremely hierarchical
Shift your focus
- Shift from being library focused to being customer focused
- what is good for librarians versus what is good for customers- we *always* need to be thinking about what *they* think is good for them. NOT making them conform to us.
- Red rules- things NOBODY can override
- Green rules- rules that can be bent (this is where staff can get confused as to what they can do)
- Yellow rules- when staff is not sure what to do
- It’s important to know the INTENT of the rules and for staff to be empowered to follow them as they see fit. (empowerment story: @Rtiz Carlton, any employee can comp a customer up to $2k without talking to management first.)
- Some rules seem reasonable but when they come into practice, they are ridiculous
- See it
- Own it
- Solve it
- Do it
Words that say “no” set a tone
- Say things in a welcoming way
- instead of “no cell phones” try “courteous cell phone use, please” or “you are welcome to use your cell phone in our lobby.” & don’t forget the signs as you’re leaving the building that say, “don’t forget to turn your cell phone back on!”
Thinks about the terms we use
- Calling them patrons allows us to patronize them (Stephen Abrams)
- Circulation/OCLC/ILL/Periodicals/Call Number/Reference/Page. No one should have to understand these terms. Use better things. Not “reference” but “questions.”
- Purpose of signage is to help people move through something easily and quickly.
Be Emotional Intelligence Activists
- Empathy (not feeling sorry for, but being in their shoes)
- No more Golden Rule. Try the Platinum Rule-Treat them like they want to be treated
- The only way we know what people want is to ask them. otherwise we’re treating them on OUR OWN assumptions
- When you say I can’t, you here “i won’t”
- Be open-minded. All the time.
- TTWWADI (“That’s the Way We’ve always done it”) must die
- Need to be genuine
Environmentalist plus CIA = Customer Activist